Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The All-Star Game - Longest Ever Played. Yawn

Ya know, everyone is making a big deal about last night's all-star game at Yankee Stadium. I know, they played 15 innings before the AL won for the 12 year in a row. And I know, it's the last one ever at Yankee Stadium and there was lots of buzz and hoopla and nostalgia and tradition and glory of the game and blah, blah blah, blah. But honestly? I wasn't feeling it. To me, it's still just a boring exhibition game.

Now in fairness, and for purposes of full disclosure, I'm a Mets fan. But in all sincerity, my apathy has nothing to do with my allegiance to the Mets, but more with the fact that the game for so many years has had no meaning and very little significance other than to "showcase" the talents of the best players in the game, as selected by the fans. But after a generation of apathy and disinterest by the athletes themselves (A-Rod, the leading vote getter among all athletes went home; left the stadium after the 5th inning), I just can't get too excited about the outcome of this game, even though MLB has tried to add some incentives to the players by awarding home field advantage in the World Series to the winners of the game. Even with that little biscuit, it's still not enough for me to tune in.

Oh, by the way, the five minutes of the game that I did watch before going to sleep, it was 3-3 in the 12th. It didn't help that I half jokingly presumed that it was Billy Wagner who gave up the tying run in his appearance, only to wake up in the morning to find out it was true (I hate it when I'm right). This guy is just killing the Mets, but I digress.

No comments: